Monday, October 14, 2013

Santa Barbara - Again: SEA-PDX-SBA

This weekend came with a surprise trip to Santa Barbara. I was invited to interview for a new position there and that prompted a very quick trip in and out. I arrived Saturday night and left midday Monday. If I get the job, what does that make me? SantaBarbaraFlyerGuy? Ex-SeattleFlyerGuy? SeattleExpatFlyerGuy? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. In the mean time, here what the flights were like!

Flying down to Santa Barbara from Seattle is a bit expensive, but I ended up using miles to make this trip happen. 40,000 frequently flyer miles and $7.50 gave me near direct flights on Alaska Air. They have flights direct to Santa Barbara from both Portland and Seattle, which is exactly what I flew this time around. These are on smaller planes, a combination of the Dash-8 turboprops and CRJs. I tried to get timelapses on these flights using a new technique, but this proved... difficult. I was using my new Nexus 4 to capture the timelapse, which I hoped would be better than my current technique, but a couple things were off: The phone unexpectedly quit and the angle of the window basically means that you are mainly aimed at sky. It didn't work, but at least I got some good photos.












The first leg is quick, but low. It's only about 30 minutes in the air, which is no time at all. On the way, we had some good views of Seattle and of the Olympic mountains. I love the view of the water, mountains, and ferry from the air. After that, I had a two hour layover and then a second flight direct to SBA. Night time flights don't offer too much in the way of scenery, but at least there was the sunset...




No comments:

Post a Comment