Friday, August 26, 2011

Food Fridays: Lay's Potato Chips (Russian Style)

I have to admit that food in Russia did not really wow me, so trying to keep in the theme for Russia for the course of the transsiberian arc that I'm currently writing is a little difficult. However, just because I found most of the food to be rather.... meh... doesn't mean that there wasn't an interesting thing to two around. Take for instance, Lay's potato chips...


Yes. Those are crab chips. If this was an Asian brand, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, but this is about as far from what I can imagine Lay's offering in the US as possible. They weren't that bad, really. But there's more!


Yes. Those are shishkebab ("shashlik") flavored potato chips. It's a popular street food, especially as you go into Siberia and a decent cheap eat. However, as chips? They are awful! The taste lingers long, long after you've finished the bag. The first hour or so it's just fine, but when you wake up with that flavor still in your mouth? Regret.

4 comments:

  1. I beg to differ. Those shashlik chips are my VERY favorite Russian chip! I wish I could buy them online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next time I am in Russia, I'll pick you up a bag. ;) I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for about half a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lindsay. Shashlik chips are AWESOME !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to be outnumbered.. ;) But how about blue berry flavor? http://seattleflyerguy.blogspot.com/2013/05/lays-do-us-flavor-review-and-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete